During this very stressful time of social-distancing and quarantines, we will find ourselves even more dependent on our pets to provide a respite. They can help take away our worries and fears, even if it’s just temporary. Here are just a few things we can do with our pets to pass the time:
- Go for a walk. Our pets love the great outdoors. Getting some fresh air and exercise will only benefit both you and your pet. Just make sure to observe the social distancing recommendations.
- How about a game of hide and seek? My dogs absolutely love this game! If your dogs are good at sit and stay, this will be perfect. Have them wait while you go hide. Once you have a good hiding place, call for them. I guarantee they’ll love searching for their favorite person!
- Use this time to teach your pup some new tricks. If they have learned the basics, how about some new ones? Place (teach them to place in a particular spot), high five, speak on command, roll over or play dead are all fun ones.
- For those pups with lots of energy, nothing can take the place of a good game of ball in the backyard!
- Our dogs have some pretty powerful sniffers! Hide some treats around the house and let them do some nose work to find them!
- Let’s not forgot about our feline friends! While it may take just a bit longer because they are usually a little more independent, cats can be taught tricks to. Some fun and easy ones are to come when called, sit and high five. Have lots of treats and lots of patience!!
It is a proven fact that spending time with your pet will reduce stress, depression and anxiety. Their simple presence will bring us happiness and peace. Take this time to enjoy them, appreciate them and snuggle them!
“Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer.” – Dean Koontz